Thursday, June 19, 2014

Cafe Vue, Melbourne CBD by Bureaucrat

Trying to eat healthy and saving money by bringing food to work is all well and good, but every now and then I need to treat myself to something a bit more pricey, a bit more luxe than what I’d normally eat.
 
When it comes to setting the bar for luxeness in food in Melbourne, Vue de Monde comes to mind.  However, while I would love to skive off work for a few hours to enjoy a long lunch and set my personal record of the most expensive work day lunch, I opted for the moderately priced option of Café Vue on Little Collins Street.
 
With Ms H to join me, we were keen to try the fabled lunch boxes on offer.  However, as the lunch boxes change each week, we weren’t so keen on the particular lunch box that was offered on the week we went.  Instead, we both went for burgers.
 
I went for the barramundi burger w house fries ($18).  Appearances can be deceiving.  The burgers look small, but they’re definitely big.  A squat, fat, juicy burger made out of barra.  The outside was deliciously crispy and had a nice crust, but the inside was filled with juicy, sweet fish with lots of aromatic herbs.  I really loved how it was made from fresh fish.  A rich lovely mayo, crisp lettuce and a light, fluffy bun topped it off. 
 
The fries had the skin on, and I think they were double fried.  While I thought I’d be able to finish my plate, I couldn’t – it’s a hefty barra patty, lots of fries and everything is quite decadently rich.
 
Ms H went for the Blackmore wagyu beef burger w bacon and house fries ($19).  An equally fat and juicy burger which she really enjoyed.  As with me, as much as she wanted to, she couldn’t finish her plate.
 
Verdict
Food – 8.5
Ambiance – 7
Service – 7
Price – 7.5
 
Overall
We really enjoyed our burgers and would definitely go back to try the lunch boxes.  The food is a bit more pricey than your typical work day lunch, but it’s totally worth it for a treat.  You’re definitely paying for quality here. 
 
As we seated inside in the small dining area, the tables are a bit small and squishy, and it’s kinda dark inside.  However, I reckon if you were sitting in the hallway or the outdoor area, it’d be a more spacious and bright.
 
Address
Café Vue
430 Lt Collins St
Melbourne 3000
Telephone: 9691 3888
 

Café Vue on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a big fan of their wagyu burger. Yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...