Thursday, September 5, 2013

Misty's Diner, Prahran by Big Fil

This post is going to be a little atypical. Generally when we go out to eat it's very much a matter of shared dishes, so that all of us can at least try a taste of everything we order. Misty's wasn't like that with everyone ordering their own thing, leaving a general impression of whether everyone enjoyed their meal rather than a personal opinion. Consequently this post will be fairly photo-centric.

First thing I should say was I was a little disappointed when Ms Counting her Calories chose Misty's as her birthday venue. I'd only been to Misty's once before and while it was admittedly very cute I'd found the food quite disappointing. We'd popped in for our desserts after eating at another venue and I'd found the range limited (my preferences not being available) and overpriced for the quality. So it's fair I was a little apprehensive that I'd feel the same way about the mains and burgers as well.


Ms Counting her Calories and Ms L's drinks, which I neglected to note the names of.

I do like the set up of the diner though, and on both our visits found the staff both friendly and very cute in their pink uniforms. I liked the booths, I liked watching the wrestling on the TV (my god, is Kane still going!), I like the idea that they have a food challenge. Too many times when people think of American food they just associate it with the MacDonald's and Hungry Jacks (Burger King) and Starbucks franchises and it's really so much more than that. Damn it, I want to like Misty's!


And fortunately the my burger on this occasion wasn't too bad. Alright, it wasn't the best burger I've had this year, or even this week, but it was a little different and I did enjoy it. My choice was the Western Burger, with mushrooms, Swiss cheese, American bacon, onion rings, bbq sauce and mayo. Served with an pickle on top, as a burger it was much less sweet than the many brioche style bun burgers currently sweeping Melbourne streets.


While I didn't get to try it (other than the curly fries) the most impressive looking meal was Snooze's pastrami on rye, with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, mustard and pickles. The serve was generous and Snooze - not a fan of diner style food - was satisfied with it.


MCHC, Ironman and Ms L are all fans of diner food and did enjoy their meals here. These were the pulled pork roll chosen by MCHC.


Ms L went for the American breakfast sausage muffin.


For some reason I missed the name of Ironman's choice, but I do remember it came with a fairly firey chilli sauce on the side.



Overall
So what was my overall impression of Misty's? I had fun on the night which is probably the most important thing. The food is alright for a city not known for great American style diner diners although I did find it a bit pricey even if serves are so large. Mostly I'd return because I like what they are trying to do.

Verdict
Food - 6.5
Ambience - 7.5
Service - 7
Price - 6

Address
103 High Street
Prahran VIC 3181
Tel: (03) 9510 1959

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...