Saturday, May 4, 2013

Ocean King Chinese Restaurant, Glen Waverley by Bureaucrat

An impromptu family lunch happened a few weekends ago.  With a newly set bouffant (the higher the hair, the closer to god), I made my way to Ocean King Chinese Restaurant where everyone was already seated.  Ocean King Chinese Restaurant is a run-of-the-mill suburban Chinese restaurant.  Out front, it's got the roast ducks, BBQ pork, etc ready for takeaways.  Inside, it's decorated in typical peach coloured furnishings and there's several tanks of sad looking fish for those wanting fresh seafood.

We got several dishes to share, several of them from the lunch-time special menu.




First up, egg noodles w char siu. The char siu was served separately from the noodles.  There was quite a generous amount of char siu, which Mother Hen quite liked it, and a generous bowl of egg noodles.


Roast duck w rice.  The duck was pretty good, and wasn't too fatty.


Roast pork w rice.  I quite liked the roast pork.  Crispy crackling, good fat-to-meat ratio.


As I was feeling the need to eat more greens, I ordered stir fried hor fun w vegetables and fungi (lor hon jai).  As with the other dishes, a very big serve of hor fun and veg and fungi. I liked how the veg (which included bamboo shoots and water chestnuts) and fungi (a very nice mix of shiitake, cloud ear, snow ear) were nicely al dente.


Combination w fried egg noodles. I didn't try any of this as I was going wheat free that day. But the noodles looked nicely crispy without being too crunchy and oily.



Verdict
Food – 7
Service – 7
Ambience – 7
Price – 8.5

Overall
The food is reasonable.  While Mother Hen quite likes Ocean King Chinese Restaurant, I'm a bit more ambivalent.  It's good but nothing memorable or anything making me hurry back.  Generous serves and quite reasonable prices, especially at lunch.  The dishes all came out quite quickly. I'd say this is a safe bet for lunch.

Address
Ocean King Chinese Restaurant
69-71 Kingsway
Glen Waverley 3150
Telephone: 9560 8855

Ocean King on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...