Saturday, February 23, 2013

Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio, South Yarra by Bureaucrat

A while back, Beaker did some research into buying a cake for a special occasion. From her research, she found Burch and Purchese Sweet Studio.  Beaker was quite excited about the cake.  I was intrigued and wanted to try it, despite the fact that it had so many unusual flavours combined in the same cake.


Behold, the mango, milk chocolate and ginger cake.  The many layers of this cake are:
 - milk choc and mango cream
 - coconut meringue
 - Jamaican ginger cake
 - mango cream
 - milk choc sponge
 - mango custard
 - choc gingerbread teddy.

To cut to the chase, the cake was okay.  It wasn't great but it wasn't bad.  Frankly, I think the cake would work better if it didn't try to marry up so many flavours and textures together. What I liked was the many layers.  For me, the best aspects was the ginger/choc layers.  Nice, smooth choc flavour and the warm zing from the ginger.  The cake was moist and just a wee sweet for me.


What didn't work was the coconut layers, esp the coconut meringue, which had dessicated coconut in it (I've never been a fan of dessicated coconut... it's so dry and bleurgh). I was looking forward to the mango layers, but sadly, I couldn't taste it.  I think the middle white layer was the mango cream, but honestly, it just tasted like plain, butter cream.

Visually, I'm not sure I 'get' the teddy bears on top.



Verdict
Food – 6.5
Ambience – 7
Service – 7
Price – 6

Overall
Well, based on one cake, B&P does okay cake. I'd be interested to go back and try their other cakes and treats, but I'd probably avoid the ones with too many flavours combined in single cake.

Address
B&P Sweet Studio
647 Chapel Street
South Yarra 3141
Telephone: 9827 7060

Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...