Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cheesecake Shop, Caulfield South by Bureaucrat

A great deception had been played on me.

One of the perks of my job is that I get to order catering.  In most cases, I've got a limited budget to work with, but it is still a joy to do it. Researching caterers, perusing the menus, mixing and matching all possible combinations - a savoury morning tea with a sweet arvo tea, gourmet lunch boxes or a healthy grilled salad...mmmm.... life is good.

Through my research, I stumbled across a catering website that's like a portal for many individual cafes/catering companies. My heart leapt when I saw that Cheesecake Shop logo.  My golly gosh, it has been years since I bought a cake from the Cheesecake Shop, and how could a Cheesecake Shop exist in the CBD without me knowing?!

Excitedly, I emailed Big Fil and Snooze and alerted them to the good news.  The good news fell rather flat on them both. Pah! With cheesecake in mind, I went in search of it. I couldn't find it, and I gave up.

It wasn't until a few weeks later that Snooze let slip that she knew where it was.  Turns out that Big Fil knew too....deception, lies, subterfuge!

In any case, as I was destined to have my white chocolate mudcake, the Cheesecake Shop came looking for me.



During a trip into neighbouring 'burbs, I happened across a CS shop. I quickly did a u-turn and parked my car. Quickly walked in and bought two individual slices of my favourite white chocolate mudcake.



I've always liked this the best out of their cake range. It has height (for me, a cake must have height - the higher the better; and if it has layers, all the more better) and not teeth-achingly sweet. It has a weird, plasticy yet moist texture and almost has a caramelly flavour to it. And there's something satisfying about the plasticine-like white chocolate icing.  It's so wrong, but so good.

Overall
It's a shame that the number of Cheesecake Shops have dwindled over the past 15 years. It's daggy, unpretentious and formulaic, and it harks back to simpler times.  So if you come across a Cheesecake Shop, step in and treat yourself to a slice!

Verdict
Food – 7
Service – 7
Ambience – 7
Price – 7

Address
Cheesecake Shop
882 Glenhuntly Road
Caulfield South 3162
Telephone: 9528 5203

The Cheesecake Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...