Friday, January 27, 2012

Choix Creperie Cafe, Melbourne CBD by Bureaucrat

For our Christmas catch up, Mr S and I met up at Choix Creperie Cafe. I had chose CCC because I wanted to branch out from my favourite Roule Galette. But CCC turned out to be a disappointment. I'm now even more of a staunch fan of Roule Galette (which I'll blog about in a few posts time).

Anyhoo, I chose CCC because The Age Good Food Guide said nice things about it. Usually I take the The Age's GFG recommendation with a grain of salt - I tend not to agree with their reviews. And this time it was no different.


CCC is located in a little alley way. I know Melbourne is known for its funky laneways, but this laneway didn't have much of a funky atmosphere. It felt more like well, a regular laneway.

In the deficiencies of CCC started with the fact that, unlike Roule Galette, it makes its savoury crepes with a regular wheat-based batter (Roule Galette uses buckwheat flour).


Because I had spent lunch with Big Fil and Snooze loading up on pinxos at Naked For Satan, I went straight to the sweet crepe - poached apple w cinnamon. The pancake was on the thick side (I wouldn't call it a crepe). You know when you make pancakes, the first pancake is either burnt to a crisp (because the heat is too strong) or its kinda undercooked and pallid (because the heat is too weak) - this was undercooked.

The plus side was that there was plenty of apples, which had a nice al dente texture. But overall, the whole thing was kinda bland.


Mr S went for the meatball crepe, which came with tomato sauce, cheese and spinach. Mr S said he liked his. Just based on looks, the meatball crepe looked much better than mine.

Verdict
Food - 6
Service - 6
Ambience - 5
Price - 7

Overall
CCC wasn't that good. Frankly, I've spent enough words on CCC.

I definitely recommend Roule Galette. I LOVE Roule Galette (lots of photos and the blog post to come soon). Plus, at Roule Galette, you have a much bigger range of sweet and savoury crepes, the crepes are properly thin, it has such wonderful atmosphere and they have the cutest French guys (with the lovely French accent) making your crepes for you.

Address
Choix Creperie Cafe
620 Collins St
Shop G22
Melbourne 3000
Telephone: 9629 1883

Choix Creperie Café on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...