Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jade Kingdom, Banyule by Big Fil

Jade Kingdom will always be a personal favourite as it is where friends first introduced me to Malaysian cooking (other than just Laksa and satays). It's hardly fine dining, more home style food in a café setting, but its tasty, filling and cheap.



First dish ordered was the laksa with yong tau fu. This was much better than I remembered it. The yong tau fu (vegetables and tofu stuffed with fish paste) was generous, and the soup much better than the fairly watery and tasteless example I remember from last time. In fact, I'd say this was one of the best laksas I've had in Melbourne.


I'd never had vegetarian hor fun before. While still good, overall I didn't like this as much as the seafood version. One of the things I like in the hor fun or kway teoh is some of the noodles being a little crispy from the wok to give a contrast in the texture. I found this dish a little too soggy and suspect it is because of the higher moisture content in the vegetables compared to the seafood. The vegetables themselves were well cooked though still being nicely crispy.


The char kway teoh was good, if a little overloaded with bean sprouts and underloaded with (admittedly quite large) prawns. Slightly greasy, with lots of Chinese sausage, the flavour is packed in to what is my second favourite kway teoh in Melbourne. Photo 406 I am a sucker for sweet pork dishes, so always have to order the cherry pork ribs. Sweet, sticky, not too fatty, nicely balanced by the slightly bitter broccoli it is served with. So much better than the sweet and sour pork dishes many places still serve.


I am a sucker for sweet pork dishes, so always have to order the cherry pork ribs. Sweet, sticky, not too fatty, nicely balanced by the slightly bitter broccoli it is served with. So much better than the sweet and sour pork dishes many places still serve.


By this time we were ready for desert. The Ais Kachang Specials (which come with ice cream on top) were colourful and huge. Ais Kachang is a weird sounding desert (ice shavings, sweat corn and peanuts anyway?) but just work really well, particularly when the day is really hot.



Baby Hui Ern trying to eat an Ais Kachang bigger than her head!



I went for the Sago Pudding for desert. Served slightly warmed, the version at Jade Kingdom comes with a large amount of dark brown palm sugar (Gula Melaka) syrup at the bottom, almost like treacle, giving it a comparatively strong flavour. This is the dessert I order every time I visit Jade Kingdom.



Overall
I think one of the best indicators of whether a Malaysian restaurant is any good is the number of locally living Malaysians who are regulars. Jade Kingdom always seems busy. They don't come here for the magnificent setting or fine service, but for a reasonably authentic taste from home with large serves at a good price. Regarding the service, there are times when they could obviously use more staff and the owners can get a bit snappy with any customers they see as being overly pushy, but on my numerous visits here I have found them quick and efficient almost every time.

Verdict
Food - 7.5
Ambience - 6
Service - 6.5
Price - 8

Address
233 Waiora Road
Banyule VIC 3084
Tel: (03) 9458 3188

Jade Kingdom on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...